Wednesday, July 14, 2010

The Old has become New!

One of my great friends, Sarah, gave me the courage to take on a huge project. 

For years, Adam and I have been talking about restoring our retro 1976 couch into an updated one.  We got several estimates and it was going to cost $1,400 or more to have it reupholstered.  As you would expect, we had a hard time coughing up that money when we could buy a new one at a cheaper price.  But we couldn't get rid of this couch for many reasons.  For one, Adam was in love with his childhood couch.  In his exact words, "It's comfortable and they don't make winged-back couches like this anymore!" Also, it was Adam's parent's first couch.  It has much sentimental value.  So, for years it sat in our living room with an annoying couch cover that just wouldn't stay put and looked a bit drab and out of place. 

I didn't have the appropriate sewing and restoring experience to tackle on this project myself, but I desperately wanted something to be done.  But, from my experience, patience is a virtue.  So, I just waited...and waited...and waited to see what would come my way.  Six years later, along came Sarah - an answer to my prayers!  Not only does she have lots of sewing experience (she made her own wedding dress for goodness sake), but she also has some restoring experience. And not just with ordinary furniture, but with old, winged-backed chairs!  Although, until now, she had never reupholstered a couch I completely had faith in her abilities, and she (for some odd reason) in mine.  And after two hard, but rewarding weeks, came the fruit of our labor: a beautifully restored couch that now has even more sentimental value! This couch has touched many hearts, and now you can add mine and Sarah's to that list.   

No comments:

Post a Comment